All of the Hippie’s Husband boards come pre-oiled with food-safe mineral oil. I also use other food-safe sealers including beeswax, citrus oils, tung oil, Danish oil, Odie's oil, and different types of Shellac - depending on the intended use and location. All of the products are selectively used for added protection and conditioning.
Each new Hippie's Husband Board comes with a 4-ounce tin of our homemade Hippie Board Butter, which is an excellent board conditioner. Use it liberally. You can even use it on your hands. It is all-natural and very safe. Larger tins are available for purchase on our website. The boards will need less and less over the
years as the sealing continues to age.
DOs and DON'Ts:
- DO share photos of your purchase online!
- DO tag us in your social posts: @TheHippiesHusband
- DO keep your purchase clean by washing gently under a stream of warm, running tap water. You can use a small amount of gentle dish soap if needed.
- DO dry fully before storing it away.
- DO store your purchase upright, this allows the wood to breathe.
- DO feel free to use lemons and salt if you develop a stain.
- DO NOT place your board in a dishwasher!
- DO NOT soak your cutting board!
- DO NOT store your board flat (unless it has rubber feet). This may cause your board to warp, bow, or split.
- DO NOT use harsh abrasive pads such as Brillo or steel wool.
- DO NOT use abrasive cleaning agents like Comet.
How To Condition Your Cutting Board
Ensure your cutting board is clean and dry before applying board conditioner. Using a lint-free cloth, collect a small amount of wax from the tin. Rub the cloth in a circular motion. This is safe for your hands, no worries! Thinly coat the board conditioner on all sides and edges of your board ensuring a thin, even coating.
Your board may look and feel greasy, that’s fine. Leave upright to sit overnight, or at least 4 hours.
Once the absorption period is complete (4 hours minimum), use a dry, lint-free cloth to buff off excess wax. Tip - use wooden spoons to keep the board elevated while absorbing. Our board conditioner works great on wooden spoons too!
Repeat daily for the next week, weekly for the next month, and monthly afterward to ensure the board lasts for generations to come!